*******

Pursuing Answers to Questions of Faith & Life

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Macomb Balloon Festival






Yesterday was the opening of the Macomb Balloon Festival. It was an impressive sight to watch all the balloons fill up and then take off. It was equally fun to watch my kids running around and playing. Gabriel found our neighbors' kids and ran more last night than any other time in his life! Moriah trekked around (with me chasing her)like crazy all over the place.

What's amazing is before we came, we told Gabriel we were going somewhere, but it was a surprise. Of course, he then didn't want to go, not sure of where we were going, he was a bit intimidated. Every time we do this, we're usually going somewhere fun, but he forgets. His trust that we have something good for him was stretched and because he wasn't sure, he tried to bring on such a bad attitude that we wouldn't go at all. But he had such a good time when we got there that he was glad we went.

That's so like us with God. So often He desires to take us somewhere and keep it a surprise--He has a great adventure for us--but our trust is such that we throw an attitude and don't want to go. But when we actually get to where He is taking us, we have a great time. If only we would trust Him completely and be truly willing to go wherever He leads and not have to be dragged kicking and screaming.

Where has God been leading you that you've been unwilling to go? Do you really trust Him? When have you learned this lesson?

Pursuing Answers to Questions of Faith & Life,

Kelly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience last spring. I was fairly bummed out about the deterioration of my eyes, and thinking that I didn't want to be living if I ever really lose my eyesight. I remembered the idea that God's grace is sufficient for our needs, and asked myself: Do I believe that? Well, yes, I trust God to do his part, but I wasn't so sure that I could do mine. Then I thought: well stupid, don't you think God already knows that you won't be able to? Don't you think his grace will extend to enable you to do what you cannot do on your own? I know this is a pretty basic concept, but it struck me in a way I hadn't viscerally processed it before. So I decided I should relax a bit and trust God to help me deal with problems that may or may not ever happen. That doesn't mean I don't get depressed or angry; I do. But I am determined not to dwell on it.

Eric