*******

Pursuing Answers to Questions of Faith & Life

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Godwinks and Coincidence

Kevin Bussey, on his blog--Confessions of a Recovering Pharisee--reviews a book called, "When God Winks: How the Power of Coincidence Guides Your Life". You can read it for yourself by clicking here

After reading a few of the comments, I was reminded of such a moment that I wanted to share.

Like most of you, I've had several such moments of "coincidences". One of the comments reminded me of one of the most powerful. Back in the summer of 1994, I was marching with Santa Clara Vanguard, a drum & bugle corps. We traveled across the country on the bus. Most knew I was a believer and tried to take it seriously.

One day on the bus, a friend, Gus, AKA Worf, was sitting a couple of seats behind me. He asked me for my Bible so he could look up his favorite passage. Excited, I gladly gave it to him, a big NIV Study Bible that I still use--1600+ pages. He wasn't really that familiar with the Bible, much less mine (I know I'm often at a loss to find passages without my familiar markings) so after a few minutes he taps me on the shoulder and says something like, "I can't find it, is there any passage you would recommend?" Several of the others in nearby seats stopped to wonder what I would say (they were a little standoffish b/c of my faith but several had some good conversations). At that question my heart jumped a few times at the opportunity here. I prayed a silent prayer and without turning around I told Gus to look up Isaiah 53, one of the most prophetic, Gospel painting, Christ exalting passages in Scripture.

At this point, after giving a specific reference, I expected to hear the pages turning and the eventual "where is that one again?" question. I heard nothing, not a sound. Before I could say anything, Gus tapped me on the shoulder again. "You need to see this" he said. I turned around and looked at him sitting there in the isle with the Bible in his lap. He held it up for me. I looked down at my Bible--all 1600+ pages of it-- to see that it was already turned to Isaiah 53.

I don't know why I should be, but I, like just about everybody sitting there that day, was stunned. I didn't know what to say--so I had him read it out loud, the whole chapter. Most listened. I shouldn't be surprised that our God would do something like that, but I so often am. We serve the awesome, omnipotent Creator of the universe--why am I so surprised that He reveals Himself in such moments to awaken the hearts of those who may be so cold to Him?

Pursuing Answers to Questions of Faith & Life,

Kelly Reed

No comments: