*******

Pursuing Answers to Questions of Faith & Life

Saturday, June 10, 2006

How do you like my wife?

Do you like my wife?


As a husband, my wife is one of the most important people in my life. She is a true blessing to me and a gift from God. Because of that, if you don’t like my wife, you’re going to have a hard time having a good relationship with me. In fact, I may know you and like you, but if you continually insult or knock on my wife, you’re not going to be around me much. I’m protective, I’m jealous, I’m willing to sacrifice for her and though I hope it never comes to it, I would give my life for her. That is what Scripture commands in Ephesians 5:25—“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her”

But there in lies a clue into the nature of Jesus. I am called to be this kind of husband, because He is that kind of husband to His Bride. He loves His Bride with an infinitely greater degree of commitment, sacrifice and love than I can.

His Bride is the Church. There are many people who claim to know and love Christ yet have a disdain for His Bride. “I’m a Christian, I just don’t want to have anything to do with the church or organized religion.” I am by no means saying that the Church is perfect, I am saying that Jesus is protective of His Bride. If you talk bad about her, you’re talking bad about that which Christ laid down His life. You may have been burned, but there is something about the Fellowship with the Bride that adds and strengthens your Fellowship with the Bride-Groom—Christ. If you don’t want to have anything to do with the Bride, you should truly examine your commitment to the Groom who is preparing a place for you and I, who is waiting for the Father to say the time is right, who has His Herald ready to blow the Horn and say, “The Bride-Groom cometh for His Bride”. Then He will take His Bride to be with Him and the Marriage Feast will take place.

It’s no accident that one of the most common analogies between Christ and His church is the Husband and Wife relationship. It is sacred, it is holy and set apart.

Jesus is the one who asks the question, "How do you like my wife?" He asks, because He wants you and me to be a part of it.

Pursuing Him,

Kelly

No comments: