*******

Pursuing Answers to Questions of Faith & Life

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Babies Born and Song--"In the Secret"

Two babies have been born in my circle. I found out second, but the first was born Dec. 8th in Austin, TX to my friends Kevin & Sharon. They had a little girl--Kaelin and everyone looks like they're doing well.

The second was to our church family Tim & Kim. They had a little boy on Dec. 12 named Joseph. I've had the honor of meeting this young man already, though he seems to prefer sleeping to socializing at this point!

Congratulations to both families for these wonderful blessings.

I was able to share with Kim this morning how, after the birth of my son, Gabriel, I was finally able to remember the order of words in the praise chorus for "In the Secret"

It says:

"I want to know You, I want to hear Your voice, I want to know You more.
I want to touch You, I want to see Your face, I want to know You more."

The key words are Hear, Touch, and See. That follows perfectly the order in which a baby in the womb experiences the outside world.

First, they are able to hear the voices around them. They say a baby recognizes their father's voice even better than the mother's because the sound is more direct and doesn't pass through so much body tissue like the mother's. But a baby's first awareness of a larger world comes through hearing.

Second, since most babies are born clenching their eyes shut, the next sensation they experience is feeling our touch. The doctor's hands that "catch" them, the towel and blanket, the cleaning, the caressing--the cold air!!! Coupled with recognizable voices, what happens here can reduce the trauma of the birth process.

Thirdly, I'm told babies eyes cannot focus more than 20 to 25 centimeters in front of them. But guess what kind of distance that is? That is the distance between the crook of a mother's elbows and her face. So the first thing a baby is really going to see is the face of the one who loves him/her tremendously--the one who helped bring this child into the world.

That is exactly how our walk with God goes. First we hear His voice calling to us, beckoning us to faith. Then we experience the touch of His presence in our lives when we answer His call. When that happens, we have the joy of seeing His face--in prayer, in growing closer to Him. It is not clear at first, but the more time we have with Him, the clearer His face becomes. They joy of our future is seeing Him face to face without anything getting in the way. What a glorious day that will be.

Congratualtions again to Tim & Kim, Kevin & Sharon.

Pursuing Answers to Questions of Faith & Life,

Kelly Reed

No comments: