*******

Pursuing Answers to Questions of Faith & Life

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Article--How children lost the right to roam in four generations

Here's a sad and telling article coming from London about kids and their ability to roam around without their parents knowing where exactly they are.

I can definitely see this here in America as well. My parents allowed me to go all over on my bike (of course, you probably had no idea... sorry), but I don't see how I can do that for my own kids. To the best of my ability, I want to know where they are.

Here's the opening statements:

"When George Thomas was eight he walked everywhere.

It was 1926 and his parents were unable to afford the fare for a tram, let alone the cost of a bike and he regularly walked six miles to his favourite fishing haunt without adult supervision.

Fast forward to 2007 and Mr Thomas's eight-year-old great-grandson Edward enjoys none of that freedom.

He is driven the few minutes to school, is taken by car to a safe place to ride his bike and can roam no more than 300 yards from home."

What's really scary is how many of the comments left on the article mention somebody trying to attack them as they walked around town or to school.

Now, why has this happened? What is it that has moved parents to be so paranoid about their kids whereabouts?

Any ideas?

No comments: